Saturday, May 21, 2011

With a little help

This week's challenge by the Diva was to have a friend draw the string. I had my mom do the string, since we were on vacation together. I've gotten her started in tangling just a bit, and am showing her some of the basics. Yet somehow, I hadn't gotten the concept of a string across. One of the first things you do, and instead we've been focusing on the different patterns and the finished product. Oops. (Well, I'm neither a CZT nor an art teacher, nor do I claim to be one. LOL!)

I had her draw the string in brown, and I tangled the rest in black then shaded only the portion she had done. She opted to create a few abstract shapes. And since the flowers on our trip were great, I stuck mainly with flower patterns.

Here's the finished product:


This was done on a brand new paper, which I absolutely adore. We were in Carmel, California and there's a pen and stationary shop there. They had a different type of graph paper than I've seen before, called a 'dotpad' by Rhodia. It is 80 lb vellum that is absolutely exquisite to work on -- if you like smooth. Which is my preference, and my mom's, for pen and ink. I may not have liked working on the bristol vellum ATCs, and it took a bit for me to get used to the vellum in moleskines, but now that I have... YUM. Anyway, you can see the dots on the outskirts of the page, but they do pretty much disappear in the finished piece. Especially if viewed from more than 2 feet away.

As for materials: black and brown micron pens and shaded with pencil. I used way, way too many tangles to name. I can't even keep track of all of them. ;)

3 comments:

  1. Ooooh I like this - abstract shapes seemed to have worked very well. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool!!! It is amazing how this zen thing spreads, isn't it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning, kiddo. A beautiful work of art.

    ReplyDelete