Monday, May 30, 2011

String Theory II -- Stripes

The Diva's challenge for week 24 is to use only stripes for a string. I may go back and do one that is stripes radiating from a central point like a sun, or stripes straight across, but you know me. I have to try to think within the guide but outside of the lines...

So, I thought, hey... Hollibaugh is a bunch of stripes. Sure, they overlap, but they're stripes. And I remembered where someone (unfortunately, don't remember *who* and can't find it again) had used Hollibaugh as their string. Perfect time to do that!

But that's not enough... I further decided I'd try to find only patterns that *used* stripes in order to fill the stripes of hollibaugh. And of course, hollibaugh can't be one of them.

This is what I ended up with:



It scanned larger than it actually is.

This one was done in my moleskine pocket journal, using the micron sigma graphic 1 pen for the fill and some of the lines, and micron sigma 01 and 02 for the rest of the lines. I also used my gellyroll white for a bit of the highlight and an HB pencil for shading. Patterns used were hollibaugh, what could be considered either btl joos minus the curlies or striping with shading, bitten, a variation on plaid, sugar cane, navajo border, braze, and vega

6 comments:

  1. Wow! This has such complexity and depth. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, ditto. Very powerful with lots of depth and shape. Dynamic piece!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant string! I love it... and fab shading, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it!!! Great perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the depth you have created by overlapping your tangles. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the darkness in this tile. It makes for a very striking piece. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete